Your Show Project – Showing Livestock
By now, everyone has selected their 2018 livestock project – now it’s time to make sure they are trained to be lead.
- Rope halters are a good tool to use at home when you are starting to train your livestock project.
- Tie your animal in a low manner so your animal does not get tangled in the slack of the rope (Fig. 1)
- To help keep your animal calm, run a radio in the barn to add extra noise as a distraction.
- Always work around your animal in a calm manner.
- Brushing your animal while it is tied will allow it to get used to a routine (Fig. 2)
- NEVER raise your voice or hit your animal.
- Never leave your animal unattended when you first start to halter break them.
- Tying your animal up several days in a row will teach the animal more quickly then if you were tying up with days in between.
- Feed your animal after you have worked at quieting them – they always like the person who feeds them!
The RK Crew is always willing to answer any questions concerning, showing, fitting or daily care of your livestock project. Contact the RK Crew at a show or by phone 1-800-440-2694 or email email@example.com